Welcome: First things first

Standing Time slot for WPO members to meet up and play RTS Games

What RTS games do you own, or are willing to purchase in the near future??

Starcraft II
15%
Company of Heroes 2
12%
Sins of the Solar Empire: Rebellion
12%
Wargame: Redragon
5%
Steel Division: Normandy 44
10%
Men of War: Assault Squad 2
2%
Total War: Warhammer (2)
15%
Total War: Attila
7%
Age of Empires II
12%
Homeworld: Remastered
10%

Total votes: 41

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Welcome: First things first

Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:03 pm

Hey guys,

We are starting this forum to host a standing RTS night. This will be loosely organized into more of a "pick up" night where we'll discuss and choose various games to play.

As of right now, I'm thinking about starting the sessions at 7pm US Eastern time. This can change, and as this is a loose group, individuals can meet up earlier/later however they see fit.

One of the first things I want to do is to create a short list of standard games we can support. Use the attached poll to select games you own or are willing to purchase in the near future.

If there are games you are into, please reply and list them for group discussion.

"Fate. It protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise." -W.T. Riker

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Re: Welcome: First things first

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:34 pm

FYI: For Starcraft II - everyone can technically play for free. There is basically a 'free edition' that is multiplayer-compatible as long as you're with someone who owns the game.

Edit: I didn't vote for Normandy, but if this gets off the ground and it gets reasonable reviews at launch I'd be ok with it - I am just a bit hesitant to buy Paradox products at launch these days.

Stuyvesant
General

Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:27 pm

Write-in for Rise of Nations: Extended Edition (The Steam Remaster). It's the only RTS I'm vaguely competent at.
"Now this is a revolution I can be ambivalent about!"

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:22 pm

Steel Division isnt a PDS game in that sense.

I like RoN, played a lot back in the day. I heard the Steam version wasnt stable.

"Fate. It protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise." -W.T. Riker

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:46 am

aphrochine wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:22 pm
Steel Division isnt a PDS game in that sense.

I like RoN, played a lot back in the day. I heard the Steam version wasnt stable.
I played the Steam Version and liked it quite a bit. It seems fairly stable to me but never tried MP.

Industrious
Field Marshall

Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Would need to research some of these but CoH and Steel Div I might give a try.

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:14 am

Industrious wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:25 pm
Would need to research some of these but CoH and Steel Div I might give a try.
Company of Heroes is a pretty renowned RTS - and it can be a lot of fun multiplayer if you're just toying around.

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 am

The "toying around" is something I tend to try to be the focus on this game night for a while.

I'm thinking we can play different games routinely, which will result in many people playing games they are not "pro-sauce" at. So I'm thinking we'll mostly play team games, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, etc. Then we can split up the teams based on skill/experience so the teams are somewhat balanced.

This has me thinking SC2 might not be primary game. It's a rather competitive game and is at it's best in 1v1.

Meanwhile, CoH and Wargame/Steel Division type games (even RoN/AoE type games) are best in 3v3, 4v4 type games.

Altaris
Field Marshall

Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:44 pm

CoH2 is great for a one-session type game. Plays well with any number of players too.

Zarin_lives
Field Marshall

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:53 pm

I agree on the SC2 but I will say the new co-op mode is pretty fun, 2 players taking on whatever comes from the 12+ mission group plus weekly mutations. But yea the learning curve is not fun if someone is just coming into it vs. someone who has played for a bit. This breaks my heart because while I am by no means good, SC is my jaaaaaaaaam
A dingo ate my baby!

Industrious
Field Marshall

Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:35 pm

aphrochine wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:28 am
This has me thinking SC2 might not be primary game. It's a rather competitive game and is at it's best in 1v1.
I use to play original StarCraft back in the day and it was a lot of fun until I ran into players who had thoroughly memorized hotkeys. I'll never forget the time a teammate zerged, and I mean zerged, our opponents. He put up about four times as many units himself as were on the board combined. Some funny ass sh*t, but it's not fun to play games that gets so competitive like that really where there can be a vast difference between beginners and experienced players.

I know all these games play with hotkeys, but I agree I don't think this night should be considered some sort of ultracompetitive tournament. If it starts to veer in that direction we'll need to find a new game where everyone starts from square one.

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:23 am

Due to the nature of real time strategy games, I would have to say that Hotkeys are a must learn. To me, it's not even a matter of playing "competitive", but rather being able to play competently and enjoyably. RTS games are still strategy games, but the game moves on without you if you play too slowly. So you must be efficient in your actions, and hotkeys are the best enabler of efficiency.

In most RTS games these days, there are many commands/orders/functions which are only available from hotkeys. Even if the order is available in the UI via a button, moving your mouse and clicking the order takes more time than a hotkey. Between taking longer to issue basic orders, you are often losing out completely on more advanced orders if you dont leverage hotkeys.

For me, it's a feel of control. I have to feel like I have control over my units as well as being able to quickly queue up actions like constructions and things like that. Even the most simple universal hotkey "SHIFT" which allows your to queue up a series of orders to a unit is almost a must to maintain control.

I would say that if you enjoy playing RTS games, you should try to learn and use hotkeys...not to be some Douche King Kong Try Hard, but just to improve your overall experience through better efficiency and control.

I would recommend entering skirmash games with the easiest AI level, and force yourself to use hotkeys until they become second nature. It's an investment you'll come to appreciate.

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:20 pm

Yeah I definitely use hotkeys, I don't even think of myself as good but I almost always pick up the hotkeys just for easier play. Even just building new guys I find way easier - I'd hate to click on something like Supreme Commander the 1000+ times you need to build guys.

Industrious
Field Marshall

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:37 pm

I agree. By the "hotkeys" terminology I meant he had also perfected his build pattern. Like I've said before I don't enjoy much the buid-based rts but i might give it a try. Did enjoy CoH.

harbringerxv8
Field Marshall

Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:41 pm

I consider myself pretty casual on the RTS front (though I play them all the frickin time), so on those Sundays I do have free, I would enjoy this as an opportunity to get better.
-Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
Napoleon Bonaparte