Rules Discussion for the September game

HoI2: Arsenal of Democracy. Home of the former (now legendary!) Tuesday Pacific game.

Moderator: MagooNZ

Mr_B0narpte
Field Marshall

Rules Discussion for the September game

Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:01 am

This thread is for discussing the rules - I'd propose making the aim of the rules to ensure fairplay and to ensure a realistic simulation of WWII. I would propose all the rules below, but it is upto everyone what rules they would like to see.
Mr_B0narpte wrote:A. Rules for peacetime, that is until the ‘Danzig or war’ event on 30 August 1939 (hereafter Danzig).

1. All play will be 100% historic until Danzig, with the exception that if an event allows several choices, a player may choose an ahistoric path. Additionally an exception is made for negotiating peace with a country prior to Danzig (i.e. Italian-Abyssinian/Albanian, Japan-China wars). Germany must declare on the Allies via the Danzig event. After that event players are free to no longer follow history, apart from the exceptions listed below.

2. Germany must give the historical Molotov Ribbentrop pact (hereafter MR pact) and the USSR must accept. The pact must be honoured until 30 April 1940, when the non-aggression pact expires. The two countries can either honour the historical agreement (see here), or negotiate their own clandestine agreement so long as it does not break any other rule.

3. The USSR must accept the full purge event.

4. Countries cannot disband their starting units. The only exceptions are Cavalry, level one ships (including transports) and Militia.

5. All trades must be at market value (i.e. it once it says 100% on the trade screen) and remain so after Danzig until the trading countries are in the same alliance; or until they are at war with a common enemy that has over 150 base IC.

6. Unit trading or selling via the diplomacy screen (i.e. Open Negotiations) is not allowed. This prohibition continues for the entire game.

7. Strategically Redeploying units for the sole purpose of avoiding supply or unit maintenance costs is forbidden.

8. Countries may reduce military salaries to 10% but they must supply their units at 100%. Players are forbidden to run on 0 supplies. If some unforeseen event, such as in the Spanish Civil War or the Japan-USSR border war events, causes supplies to drop into negative balance players must take action to return to a positive balance immediately even if this means reducing production to nil.

9. The USA, UK and USSR must accept fully funded trades with the Axis powers. After Danzig, except for the UK, the trades must be maintained with Germany. The USA should continue trades with Japan until either the oil embargo event; the fall/ annexation of China; the Japanese declaration of war on the Allies.

10. We will not edit the game to change the AI without everyone’s agreement.

11. The UK cannot deploy province constructions in Poland or France before July 1940.

12. We will try and use the intelligence feature to spy on other countries only. No sabotage or blueprint stealing for example, only spying. This does tend to cause the game to crash and so players may only access this screen at the start of a session or immediately after a crash. In this fashion, if it does result in a crash, we can immediately reload. If we end up with repeated crashes, we will again ban use of this feature.

13. Player controlled countries may not grant military access to other countries until after Danzig and until they are in the same alliance. Military access granted as the result of an event is an exception to this rule.

14. Players are allowed to have unlimited BDEs in their deployment queue but only 10 units to include ships, planes and land units.

B. Rules for the conduct of the war.

1. Rockets and paratroopers are not allowed.

2. The Victory or Valhalla option (hereafter VoV) is only allowed for units belonging to player controlled nations (i.e. military controlled [hereafter MC] units cannot be VoVed – MCed units of allied human nations are exempt from this rule).

3. Expeditionary forces are not allowed. Non-player controlled countries may only be controlled via MC.

4. Non-historic alliances between players are not allowed. No Japan/ USSR, for example. The exceptions to this are a human Japan, and/or human Nationalist Spain joining the Axis. If an AI nation is willing to become an ally of any human alliance then this is allowed after Danzig. This rule applies throughout the entire game. Clandestine agreements between warring nations are also prohibited. The only agreement that can be made by such nations is unconditional surrender.

5. Unit stealing is not allowed. Annexed countries units are gone for good, including their entire military.

6. Capitals cannot be bombed to below 50% infrastructure due to the negative effect this can have on the ESE for all units of that country. Should a bombing run unintentionally reduce the infra below 50%, then bombing missions on that capital have to be stopped until it is repaired to, or above, 50%.

7. After Danzig (or Marco-Polo for Japan and China) there are no restrictions on disbanding units. However, all units to be disbanded must be in supply, not adjacent to enemy controlled provinces and at full organisation. Units in a pocket or about to be cannot be disbanded. If there is any question about a forming pocket, the player that wishes to disband the units must pause and get a reading from the other players.

8. Before joining any alliance at war, you have to declare war on the head of the opposing alliance beforehand (i.e. USA has to declare war on Germany before allying with the UK).

MagooNZ
Field Marshall

Re: Rules Discussion for the September game

Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Rule question:
Should there be a ban on bulk one off shipments of resources between countries whose capitals are not land linked? Instead, daily ship convoys have to be used.

Related question: should lend lease shipments be allowed or banned between countries whose capitals are not land linked?

Insomnipresence
Major General

Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:00 pm

What's the rationale behind no disbanding starting units? Off the top of my head, when I play Germany in sp I always disband the light armour. Why force the player to keep something they don't want?

Mr_B0narpte
Field Marshall

Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:53 am

That rule is mainly to penalise the USSR; as it is most cost effective to disband all the 1918 infantry divisions straight away, and then built 1939 infantry once it's been researched.

For Germany, I'm not sure disbanding the light armour is cost-effective unless you don't plan on using tanks at all. But, in my opinion, Germany needs many tanks - so it is best to keep the 3 starting ones, turn off upgrades for them until you have researched the 1939 light arm and then start upgrading them.

Insomnipresence
Major General

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:12 am

okay, so does it also apply to brigades?

Mr_B0narpte
Field Marshall

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:35 am

No, disbanding brigades are fine. But I should say, these are only recommended rules. As I am not participating in this game, then what I say means little.

Insomnipresence
Major General

Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:43 am

Plus they were for september anyway... so we may not be using any of them. No doubt MagooNZ will address the subject before we begin!