Feb 2015 AoD MP Setup

HoI2: Arsenal of Democracy. Home of the former (now legendary!) Tuesday Pacific game.

Moderator: MagooNZ

MagooNZ
Field Marshall

Re: Feb 2015 AoD MP Setup

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:46 am

I have made some rule changes. Changed the USA war entry rules (USA gets Pearl H event if JAP in Axis & GER makes the DOW, this saves JAP the dissent hit & I presume JAP will also get the short term combat benefit). Added back the requirement to run at no less than 10% salaries. Added back restrictions on Intelligence activities.

Please make one change to the game version. Using notepad, change misc.txt (:/db folder) STAND_GROUND_DISSENT from 0.1 to 0.04. This will change game version from JYYT to ICYT.

I haven't heard from everyone, so I assume all ok. Go ahead and play your single player game through to 01:00 hrs 1 Aug 1939. Then we will merge the saved game versions.

Insomnipresence
Major General

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:23 pm

Not that I expect it to take too long, but what's the deadline on this?

MagooNZ
Field Marshall

Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:42 am

At least a week Insomni. I should give everyone at least one complete weekend, but if people are busy this coming weekend, then two weekends is fine.
If people make a mistake, I would prefer it that they restart the game from Jan 36, rather than just going back 1 month and re-running. Especially if there is a chance event outcome & the player wants to re-run again and again until they get the result they want.
However if it is a genuine mistake, like wrong option selected in event choice, then going back a month would be ok.

I am trying to get sub-forums set up: Axis and Non-Axis so your team can discuss strategies. This is more important for the Axis players; particularly GER & ITA to co-ordinate their builds & research focus. For the Non-Axis, this is less important. They know they will be on the defensive. In the meantime, use PMs for this.

Cera.Bee
Major General

Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:11 pm

I don't think it is going to be a simple task to merge the save games from 6, 7 different countries due to potentially conflicting Unit IDs being created.

I had this problem on Friday and did the merge and had big problems simply from USA making a few GAR units and running only 6 months of playtime. It was not a fun task to fix.

With 3 years played and many countries it will probably be a nightmare. I'm not sure that it's worth it or doable. :(

MagooNZ
Field Marshall

Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:04 pm

Good to know thanks Cera, I will take a look at it. In the meantime, please everyone pause your SP play since Reap (who has been borderline to play) has just confirmed his unavailability so we are down to 5 players and will need to re-allocate country selection. The only solution I can see is if we cannot get a 6th person, for one person to play two countries which should be a GER/ITA combo, since they would be easiest for one player to take responsibility for (ITA is the smallest major and operates geographically close to GER).

Insomnipresence
Major General

Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:46 am

understood and eagerly awaiting updates!

MagooNZ
Field Marshall

Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:13 pm

Does anyone else have 2 PCs, and wants to play both GER & ITA simultaneously? I do, so can shift over to these countries. The least change would then be for Insomnipresence to switch from ITA to USA. If this doesn't suit, then here is an opportunity to discuss changing countries. USA wasn't a preferred country for Insomni (at least in the CHI not a human player option)

MagooNZ
Field Marshall

Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:30 pm

Currently taking a long hard look at the SP saved game file merge problem. Need to sort this out before committing to it. Hopefully Pang will provide advice and perhaps even help out with the file merging. Given the slow WPO pace of MP AoD, it will be worth it to progress >3.5yrs game very rapidly.

Insomnipresence
Major General

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:58 am

I am absolutely happy to play USA, though others should be warned I have no experience with them whatsoever and so may prove a not very challenging opponent. I will do my best!

princedetenebres
Field Marshall

Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:23 pm

Well, I've got 2 PCs that I could use for that purpose; and have done so in AoD before (I'm playing Fra/Uk in a game with my brother at the moment), so I don't find it an impediment in the least. I was actually going to offer to pick-up Italy as well as Japan, such that we didn't have to shuffle countries if everyone's happy where they are. That wouldn't be too bad, as I'm sure I'd be effectively giving control of a big chunk of the Italian army to the German player anyways.

A couple thoughts on the merge problem - or ideas on how to get around it I guess (and I apologize if these won't work, just throwing out ideas)
I'm assuming that the issue would most likely be with IDs, that we'd have heaps of units that would have duplicate IDs and that would cause all sorts of problems. So to solve this you could:
1) have each player add different leading digits to the units IDs for just those under their country (Germany's units could all start with 444, UK's 555 etc) -- use Ctrl+F and 'ID =' in the appropriate section of the save, such that the # is higher than any that would likely be in use by the host's version of the game...
2) Modify the #s by event;
writing events is pretty easy, just compare the numbers between what the host/merger's version has and with what each country has produced over the course of the SP game and then write an event to offset the difference, it's really quite easy, it'd just be a matter of copy & pasting the right # of lines to get the right amount of units (though to keep it simple they would be available to be deployed):
command = { type = add_division value = infantry when = 0 }
command = { type = add_division which = "USS Enterprise" value = carrier when = 2 where = cag }

So now, I've got 3 INF divisions and the Enterprise in my deployment tab, I could write up a template event that we could (or one from each side) could just copy the right lines from to make an event for each country to be triggered (by f12, or could be written to fire the following day automatically) to adjust the levels of forces and resources, ministers & tech.

If you wanted to get all fancy, you could even add them to specific places (we'd obviously need to start a bit earlier in August to give everyone time to position their forces, but another option is to write the extra line of text to get the divisions to appear in the right spot, as below):
command = { type = add_corps which = "Troupes d'Afrique Centrale" value = land where = 1075 }
command = { type = add_division which = "1ére Division française libre" value = infantry when = 1 }
command = { type = add_division which = "2e Division française libre" value = infantry when = 1 }
command = { type = add_division which = "3e Division française libre" value = infantry when = 1 }

So I think that while either of those solutions requires a bit of playing with the super fun Notepad (or similar), it would with relatively little pain solve the duplicate ID problem that would likely bedevil any attempt to load a save file that you've simply pasted together from multiple games. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I *think* that would be the biggest obstacle to this endeavour...

MagooNZ
Field Marshall

Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:38 pm

I was quite worried about the SP merge proposal yesterday, but made some real progress on it. Editing a merge requires great care to avoid leaving in blank lines (although I'm not even sure if this crashes the game). Will open a new thread on SP game merging.
So to cover country allocation, Prince playing both JAP & ITA could work. The advantage is, & I assume there will be one saved game that holds human ITA & JAP actions, there is one less country to merge into the master save. I propose the master save be the JAP game due to its lengthy war with CHI. The disadvantage is the geographical separation of the two countries and this makes the GER/ITA combination under one human player the better choice.
Prince playing both JAP & ITA, means Insomni has a choice of either USA or GER I'm happy to take whichever country Insomni doesn't want. Please advise preferences. Prince, if you wanted to switch to GER/ITA I don't see a problem with it since it is tactically better.

Added a new rule requiring military units to be first deployed to a core national province. This avoids new GER Bships suddenly appearing in Athens when the Med access is still controlled by ENG.

Insomnipresence
Major General

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:37 am

USA is probably a better idea than Germany for me, because you can still have a fun game with an inexperienced player as USA. If Germany ballses it up, not much fun for anyone!

MagooNZ
Field Marshall

Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:19 pm

Ok Insomni, thanks for posting. You switch to USA. Remember to wait for JAP to give the date for the USA to trigger Nanjiang M event.
That just leaves Prince and myself to divide up JAP, GER, & ITA.

Prince, I still think GER/ITA is the better combo for game play. Since either of us can run two nations, do you want to stay with JAP or switch to GER/ITA ?
If I switched to GER, I would like ITA military production to compliment GER military production. What JAP decides is best for ITA to produce isn't likely to match what GER wants ITA to produce.

MagooNZ
Field Marshall

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:15 pm

Prince, we need agreement on country selection, then we can go ahead with our SP games from Jan 36 to 1 Aug 39. Must check if ITA still starts with 1 air transport, this needs to be replaced out. ITA starts with 1 Air Transport, 50% manpower. Replace it with a level 1 Tact bomber, full manpower matches & the ICdays are reasonably close. The Tact is slightly more expensive by about 6.5% so not much in it.

princedetenebres
Field Marshall

Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:21 am

Hey, sorry was away camping this weekend.

Well, sure, of course Italy & Germany would be better for coordinating their builds as if they were a single country. But I guess my interest in the combo stemmed from 2 things; I've never played Italy in mp before (in countless games, on LAN or Valkyrienet back in the day) but also, I think they should be independent of Germany, as much as Mussolini was a partner to Germany, he was so opportunistically, joining up only *after* France was defeated for a share of the spoils, not a country that was in on the plan from 36', so having them played by separate people at least keeps them from being simply a complete German puppet -- though, of course I'd make my contribution, but Italy has her own agenda, just as every country does ;)

That being said, I'm rusty when it comes to HoI mp, so if you're wanting to take both on your shoulders because you have an overwhelming desire to win, I think team Axis' chances would doubtlessly be improved by seemless coordination between Germany & Italy, for sure. It's up to you, I'm happy to be playing a MP game again.

Also, as Japan, am I obliged to attack China with the Marco Polo event? I.e. Not allowed to attack a warlord (Guanxi say...) prior to that, or refrain from getting myself involved there at all if I should choose? I read the line at some point in the rules about being exempt from the prohibition on DoWs prior to 39', but I just wanted some clarity on my freedom of action as described above (or say hello to my friends in Shanxi a little early, I suppose).