WitPAE- Way of the Warrior: Reap(J) vs Dwesolick(A)

AARs and session summaries for all WPO games.

Moderators: Jones, aphrochine

Jones
Field Marshall

Re: WitPAE- Way of the Warrior: Reap(J) vs Dwesolick(A)

Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:08 am

reap wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:48 pm
News
xAP Brazil Maru sinks at sea
This one has long term consequences. Brazil Maru is one of the ships that can convert to a CVE in time for '43... Actually, maybe that is only a Reluctant Admiral mod thing?

Anyway...

Loving the format you're using for these, very informative without being a wall of text. Nice work!
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"

reap
Field Marshall

Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 pm

Jones wrote:
This one has long term consequences. Brazil Maru is one of the ships that can convert to a CVE in time for '43... Actually, maybe that is only a Reluctant Admiral mod thing?
For the game I'm playing Vanilla Scenario 2, the Brazil Maru has no updates available. Almost all of my AP Transports have no upgrades, a couple have upgrade to AS. Don't know about the other scenarios. Sounds like the Reluctant Admiral has some interesting twists.
Jones wrote:
Loving the format you're using for these, very informative without being a wall
of text. Nice work!
Thx buddy, I appreciate ya. :D
“Those who have long enjoyed the privileges we enjoy, forget in time that men have died to win them”, Franklin D Roosevelt
----------------------------------------
"Veni, vidi, vici"
"I came, I saw, I conquered", Julius Caesar

setloz
Field Marshall

Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:10 pm

Japanese forces CAPTURE Wenchow !!!
Great job finishing that pocket! Iirc, wenchow also have some Light Industry, so it will now produce for you :)
“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other guy die for his.”
Gen. George S. Patton

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Mon May 03, 2021 8:34 am

reap wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 pm
Sounds like the Reluctant Admiral has some interesting twists.
A few bugs also...but it's definitely a challenge from the AFB side of things.

"Fate. It protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise." -W.T. Riker

Jones
Field Marshall

Mon May 03, 2021 5:59 pm

aphrochine wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:34 am
A few bugs also...but it's definitely a challenge from the AFB side of things.
And as always, a challenge for the JFB side as well. I believe I've used my assets well and have squandered nothing! :armour:
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"

reap
Field Marshall

Thu May 20, 2021 6:48 pm

setloz wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:10 pm
Great job finishing that pocket! Iirc, wenchow also have some Light Industry, so it will now produce for you :)
Thx buddy I appreciate ya. You recall correctly btw.
:D
Attachments
Wenchow China 2.png
Wenchow China 2.png (750.31 KiB) Viewed 179 times
“Those who have long enjoyed the privileges we enjoy, forget in time that men have died to win them”, Franklin D Roosevelt
"Veni, vidi, vici"

reap
Field Marshall

Thu May 20, 2021 6:55 pm

Hi Guys,
Well looks like the game is over. I apparently resigned from the game while I was in the hospital.
Here’s a brief explanation of what happened.

We were doing turns at a good pace & Monday May 10 was typical, I sent my turn in that evening & was waiting his turn back Tuesday sometime. Unfortunately, I woke up Tuesday morning with some bad health issues. I decided to go to the ER & was there around 7:30 pm that evening. By the time I saw a doctor & got some treatment it was around 1pm Wednesday afternoon when I left the ER. After about 18 hrs I was exhausted & felt like crap.

Got up Thursday May 13, emailed him to explain where I was. He had sent the turn around 6pm Tuesday & that’s about the time I had done the turn & sent it back so I was out for 48hrs.

He wrote back, was understanding & we started doing turns again. On Saturday he goes dark, so, I wait & wait, nothing. So, I decide to check the Matrix boards. He had apparently posted a request for a new opponent on Wed May 12th, when I was in the hospital. Guess he thought I should have emailed him from there, but that’s horse pucky he missed days before & never told me squat. He’s a hypocrite or just wanted out of the game.

Anyways, sorry for the rant but I just wanted to explain. I have some turns to post but its probably a waist of time at this point. Needless to say, I’m done with this game, don't see myself playing it again.

Thanks again for the interest guys.
Cheers.
"Veni, vidi, vici"

Jones
Field Marshall

Fri May 21, 2021 8:59 am

reap wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 6:55 pm
Hi Guys,
Well looks like the game is over.

Man, this sucks! Are you sure you can't revive the game (or do you even want to)? If the guy is advertising for a new game, in a reasonable world he should be happy to pick up where you guys left off. If he just wanted an excuse to get out, you are justified in posting in his thread that he is unreliable and others should stay away. Hell, I'll do it if you send me link.

Having said all that, I get it that you're feeling done with this game. The investment is so huge and placing that trust in a stranger just feels not worth it. Don't let it get to you long term though. This game is about the journey (especially for the IJ player!) not the end result. Declare yourself the winner and say that in your game world Allied war morale suddenly collapsed and Imperial Japan now rules the Pacific!

setloz
Field Marshall

Sun May 23, 2021 12:03 am

I second Jones' argument. Don't let it get to you. If you feel he wanted out, post in the thread where he's looking for a new opponent. Other people should be warned.
As far as giving up on the game completely, I totally understand you. It's very hard to find a reliable opponent. I've had my share of problems with matrix board opponents.
I would offer to take you on again, but unfortunately my hands are full with 3 children and a new house renovation project, I barely have time to sleep.
Go back out there and find an opponent if you like this game.
“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other guy die for his.”
Gen. George S. Patton

reap
Field Marshall

Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:00 pm

Hi Guys.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been recovering from my ailment. I appreciate your support. As I'm feeling better my disappointment with the game is subsiding. I felt like crap when I was doing those few turns, in the hopes of keeping the game going. That is where the frustration came from. I apparently resigned twice from the game & he has a new opponent. Ironically he said he liked historical game play, I guess he didn't like what I was doing. The last turn we had I captured Manila, that's where he quit. I can only think that was the problem but as you guys know I'm sort of a historical player too. I guess I was supposed to leave Manila even though he had only a few thousand troops there. Oh well. I gave the link below if you're curious.

Thanks again guys.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=5018714
"Veni, vidi, vici"

Jones
Field Marshall

Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:17 am

Sounds like it sucks all around, and not just related to the game. This game really does push the limit of what is possible for what is really just a hobby for us all. I'm pretty sure that my current game against Aphro will be the last one of my lifetime! What a thought that is... :shock:

reap
Field Marshall

Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:50 pm

I agree with you Jonesy. Its a long tough road for the game, even at one turn day its ends up being around a 4 year commitment. If I recall Obvert & his BIG game lasted 8 years. His first opponent bailed, the replacement died in RL from what I understood & he found a 3rd to finish out the game & he still lost as Japan.
:shock:
Anyways I thought I'd post this too show where we ended up. I was just going to post a big AAR dump but the game ended. Regardless sorry I fell behind in the AAR.

Thanks again
Attachments
PTO Jan 10-1942.png
PTO Jan 10-1942.png (1.88 MiB) Viewed 93 times
"Veni, vidi, vici"

Jones
Field Marshall

Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:38 am

Thanks for posting that Reap.

setloz
Field Marshall

Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:39 am

Man, this game is great, but finding a reliable opponent is soooo hard due to the sheer amount of time needed to be dedicated.
Gen. George S. Patton