WitPAE- For the Empire: Reap(J) vs joliverlay(A)

AARs and session summaries for all WPO games.

Moderators: Jones, aphrochine

setloz
Field Marshall

Re: WitPAE- For the Empire: Reap(J) vs joliverlay(A)

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:24 am

reap wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:36 pm
joliverlay & I both seem to be thinking the same thing in China. We’re both sending reinforcements to Ichang. The issue is his reinforcements are closer than mine. Hopefully I can hold until my guys show op. Either way it looks like it could become the Stalingrad of the Far East.
:D
Ichang is a recipe for heavy japanese losses if you ask me. I'd always set my troops to retreat from there. No strategic importance early war.
I'd advise on focusing your early efforts on Wenchow. Left unattended, that is a wound that will fester later. Close the hexes and subdue the defenders.
Also, you might want to take a look at my R&D musings in the old AAR of the game we played. I devised a pretty aggressive research program.
“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other guy die for his.”
Gen. George S. Patton

Jones
Field Marshall

Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:27 pm

setloz wrote:
Ichang is a recipe for heavy japanese losses if you ask me.
Agreed. The Chinese are teed up to nearly destroy the IJA division starting in Ichang. You might be able to get some armour into there in time, but I don't think you'll turn the tide.

Then again, if you don't start your move out of Ichang on turn 1 you are probably going to suffer the attack whatever you do.
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"

reap
Field Marshall

Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:34 pm

setloz wrote:
I'd advise on focusing your early efforts on Wenchow. Left unattended, that is a wound that will fester later.
Also, you might want to take a look at my R&D musings in the old AAR of the game we played. I devised a pretty aggressive research program.
Capturing Wenchow is standard operating procedure. Its a must capture. That operation was started in turn 1 & continues. My R&D was set up in that marathon first turn.
Jones wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:27 pm
Then again, if you don't start your move out of Ichang on turn 1 you are probably going to suffer the attack whatever you do.
Get ready for some bloody days ahead. I didn't move them out. With that said there are AAR's from other players that say its important to keep Ichang out the hands of KMT for as long as possible. Its of course a personal choice as is everything in this game. With that said I doubt I'll try to retake the city if I lose it, simply because I need the forces elsewhere. I'm not as concerned with losses as other JFB's are but I don't want to squander my men too early either, the war is a long one. It also matters if this is an isolated move or if this is part of a wider offensive say to take Wuchang.

So we'll see what happens & thx for the advice guys.
“Those who have long enjoyed the privileges we enjoy, forget in time that men have died to win them”, Franklin D Roosevelt
----------------------------------------
"Veni, vidi, vici"
"I came, I saw, I conquered", Julius Caesar

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:05 am

Ichang is Clear terrain, KMT might take it, but should leave right away. You can then retake with a couple BDE's later. No AFB worth their salt willing walks into open terrain without a clear strategic objective. As soon as you take all your SRA, Burma, PI and clean up China...you'll be more than capable of bombing any Ichang stack out of the hex.

"Fate. It protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise." -W.T. Riker

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:05 pm

...also wanted to follow up. Talk to Jones about his China strategy. I love what he's doing and is putting SO MUCH pressure on my China. Just dont give away any of his secrets here!! Seriously one of the more desperate fights in our game at the moment. I spend easily 1/3+ of my turn staring at the china map ensure that I'm timely in to responding to Jones. It's about as white knuckle as you can make snail's pace game like WitP.

"Fate. It protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise." -W.T. Riker

Jones
Field Marshall

Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:31 pm

Thanks man! This is high praise indeed. I'm here for any questions Reap may have. I like the stacking limits map we're using in our game Aphro. It makes mega-stacks very unsustainable.
"Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war" - William Shakespeare, "Julius Caesar"

reap
Field Marshall

Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:50 pm

Hey guys.
I have a quick update. Joliverlay is having a problem IRL. He was sick from his COVID-19 Vaccination for 3 days & currently Arkansas is an ice cube just like Texas. So, he has no power, water or anything but he's hoping to be up & running soon.
aphrochine wrote:
Ichang is Clear terrain, KMT might take it, but should leave right away. You can then retake with a couple BDE's later.
As an AFB(Aphro), a JFB(Set) & a JFB/AFB(Jonesy). You guys are in all agreement on Ichang. As for the many AAR's I've read there is also little mention of Ichang early on & when it does show up it's when Japan is trying to recapture the base. So, I’m beginning to think it's standard operating procedure for a JFB to give it up in the early days of the game. With that said, I’ll stay until he kicks me out. But if he is following SOP & thinks I’ll pullout that’s a good thing & I will wait to take it back later as you all suggest.
I just wonder if its part of a bigger offensive? I realize you guys think that’s a bad idea however that’s changing with some newer AFB’s not wanting to let the JFB control the initiative. I’ve seen that in a couple of AAR’s & the AFB can still hold the Japanese even if it means massive casualties.
aphrochine wrote:
No AFB worth their salt willing walks into open terrain without a clear strategic objective.
To explain his situation, he gave me more specific details on himself. I suspected from his email that he worked at the University of Arkansas & unexpectedly he sent me his page. He is Director UAF Mass Spec & Professor, Analytical Chemistry there.
He strikes me as deliberate & strategic, not a maniac that will throw the “let’s get nuts” wrench into the gears. So, I expect him to be smart & cautious where he has to be, his resume would tend to confirm that. But he’s still a blank slate & I don’t know exactly what to expect.
:?
aphrochine wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:05 pm
Talk to Jones about his China strategy. I love what he's doing and is putting SO MUCH pressure on my China.
Jones wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:31 pm
I'm here for any questions Reap may have.
Absolutely & thx. I don’t fight a lot in China so my experience is negligible. If the China front turns hot, I’ll definitely be asking Jonesy some questions.
“Those who have long enjoyed the privileges we enjoy, forget in time that men have died to win them”, Franklin D Roosevelt
----------------------------------------
"Veni, vidi, vici"
"I came, I saw, I conquered", Julius Caesar