UK – El Duck
USA – Evil Overlord
USSR – desev
Nationalist China – Liberty
India – Gogopher
Germany – Mr_B0narpte
Japan – Feuerschwanz
Italy – Lord Jarski
Manchukuo (Vichy France) – Viper
We have started a 1936 grand campaign using Lord Jarski’s brilliant mod. His mod can be found here
We've reached August 1946, to skip ahead please click the below links:-
We have a set of rules that aim to avoid any gamey tactics and to have a historically focused game. For those eager beavers, please see our ruleset here:-
1. Units to be disbanded must be in supply, not adjacent to enemy controlled provinces and at full organisation. Units in a pocket or about to be cannot be disbanded. If there is any question about a forming pocket, the player who wishes to disband the units must pause and get a reading from the other players.
2. No form of unit stealing is allowed. Annexed countries units are gone for good to include all land, sea and air units. The only two exceptions are UK expeditionary forces and some ships that revert to an allied country when the owning country is annexed.
3. Expeditionary forces are not allowed except for the UK. See specific UK rules for details. AI countries may only be controlled via military control.
4. It is forbidden to move ships directly from port to port and coast to coast. Ships moving between ports must enter at least one sea zone. This includes transporting units - you cannot load units onto a transport ship (TP), and then have that unit move to another land province without having the TP first move into a sea province. This ban also applies to shipping land units via a TP to neighboring provinces without the TP first moving into a sea province.
5. You cannot deploy land or coastal forts in a province that is under attack.
6. When attacking a province, you cannot rest your main attack force at 23:00 only to continue shortly after 0:00. You have to either cancel the attack completely or continue the full attack until victory/defeat.
7. Units can only be ordered to fight to the death (victory or valhalla) if they belong to player controlled nations. The same applies to the use of scorched earth tactics.
8. Any AI nation DOWed by more than one alliance (including any non aligned powers not yet in their future "alliance) must be left without any kind of MC.
9. A defending play can declare his capital an open city provided that he has no units within or adjacent to the capital and no units between the capital and the enemy. Once the capital is declared an open city the attacker must directly move a unit to occupy the capital thus forcing the capital to relocate.
10. If a player controlled country DOWs a minor non-aligned nation they must make an honest effort to conquer said country.
11. Paratroopers are allowed with the following restrictions:
a. Paratroopers may not be used to block retreats. This means that they may not be dropped in provinces behind front line units in battle or about to be attacked where their presence might block a possible line of retreat.
b. Paratroopers may be dropped on any costal province to include provinces with a beach. If the non-beach province is captured and becomes controlled by the dropping unit, a single division can be landed from transport waiting off shore each 24 hours for the first two days. After 2 days there is no limit on the amount of units that can be landed. If the non-beach province is a port, the attacking player can land the number of units equal to the pre attack level of the port plus one each 24 hours, for the first two days. After 2 days there is no limit on the amount of units that can be landed. There is no limit on provinces containing beaches.
c. Players attacking a province with a paratrooper must retreat the paratrooper if requested by the defender in order to allow a reinforcing unit to reorg or defend against another attack.
12. Players of major countries may not switch either land or naval doctrines until after Danzig.
13. Players of minors may switch land and naval doctrines at any time.
coups/partisans may not be used.
15. Players are forbidden to run on 0 supplies. If some unforeseen event or situation causes supplies to drop to 0, players must take action to return to a positive balance immediately even if this means reducing production to nil.
16. Rockets are not allowed. However, rockets are allowed for the sole purpose of nuclear bombing.
17. Province builds:
a) Rocket & nuclear test sites must be built province specific.
b) Synthetic plants (oil & rares), AAs, radars, forts can be built in a non prov-specific way and stockpiled if desired.
c) Ports and air bases can be stockpiled and be deployed as needed in in a player's home country or annexed country or to the home or annexed country of an ally. They may also add to existing bases in provinces either they or an ally have captured. The first port or airbase in a newly captured province must be built by the province specific method.
18. All trades must be at least at 100% of market value (i.e. on the screen it has 100% accept chance when asking for resources - as in $1 for 3 rares or thereabouts) and remain so until both countries are in the same alliance or at war with the same player controlled country. Free trades are allowed after either of these conditions are met.
19. The use of "open negotiations" for trading resources is limited after Danzig for nations at war or trading with a nation at war and located overseas from each other. There are two exceptions to this rule:
a. Resources can be requested when giving blueprints to ai nations.
b. After 30 September 1939, an overseas player that wants to trade resources via open negotiations can do so if there has been ongoing trade via convoy with the target nation and no convoy ship on that route has been sunk for the past month. Once done, the player will have to wait another month & fully satisfy the first sentence of this rule before using Open Negotiations for trading resources with that target nation again.
20. A puppet master may only trade $ or supplies for the resources the puppets need to supply their industry or are willing to pay in exchange for blueprints. A puppet master may not manipulate trades with a puppet so as to force the puppet to go to a minus position in either supplies or money. As long as a puppet holds above 2500 $ or supplies, this restriction does not apply.
21. A puppet master is allowed to request edit of one insignificant province from the puppet to him, with the intention of allowing the puppet to send resources to master.
22. Players may manually control their convoys by turning off the automated convoy system. If under manual control it cannot be used for monkey business such as creating a single mass convoy to avoid raiders.
23. Non-historic, and historically premature, alliances are not allowed, except where specifically said below. After 30 August 1939 there are no restrictions on alliances with AI nations.
24. Non-historical, and historically premature, declarations of war are not allowed, except where specifically said below. After 30 August 1939 this restriction is completely removed, except where specifically stated below.
25. Unit trading or selling via is banned.
26. The granting of Military access to any nation is banned, unless it is done via event.
27. A player can only issue a Guarantee of Independence (GoI) if they, rules permitting, promise to honour it by declaring war on the aggressor within one month. If the rules do not permit a retaliatory declaration of war, then the Guarantee of Independence cannot be made in the first place. This rule does not apply to pre-existing GoIs (i.e. ones that exist at the start of the scenario, or ones created by event).
28. Before joining any alliance at war, you have to declare war on one human controlled member of the opposing alliance beforehand (i.e. USA has to declare war on Germany/Italy/Japan/etc before allying with the UK).
29. Player-to-player agreements must be honored.
RULES FOR BUILDING PROVINCIAL STRUCTURES
Provincial structures include anything that is placed in a specific province and cannot be moved. These builds are not limited to but include such things as forts, airbases, ports and reactors. AAs are the only exception and have no limitations, neither in home nor allied territory.
30. Any structure built in your own territory must be built to the province directly.
31. Any structure built in Allied territory must be built using a new serial, the serial can be at maximum 10 units long, or fewer, depending on the allied provinces existing structures. Export lines designated for a specific province must be deleted if that province is lost to the enemy or if the maximum level of the structure is achieved.
ENDING THE GAME
32. The game will continue until at least one major Capital falls or everyone agrees to end the game.
33. Any discussion of a Cold War must go on the presumption the Axis will fight to the bitter end; i.e. the Allies & Comintern have to clandestinely talk about a post war world. A public discussion can only take place once one of the situations outlined in the rule above has been met.
Rules for specific nations
Allied players are allowed to load up France between sessions to monitor the country. No changes to the ai TECH or build queue are allowed. Edits may be requested to correct trades.
1. After the Marco Polo bridge event, China can declare war on neighboring AI nations in Asia that are not part of, or puppets of, either the Allies or Comintern. Portuguese Macau or Timor will not be counted as neighboring provinces.
2. Before at least one war against Japan, China may not join any alliance while Japan remains at peace with all other player controlled nations.
3. Once Japan is at war with another player controlled nation, China can then join the alliance of that country. China must leave such alliance at the end of the war. Only exceptions would be joining freely any alliance if China is under attack again or if China has a communist government, with the latter case allowing China to remain in the Soviet alliance.
4. Chinese will be limited to the range defined in the attached maps. This rule applies both before and after the fall of China.
5. Republic of China can have military control edited in over Communist China once both nations are at peace with one another. Should this happen, Republic of China cannot attack Communist China until Japan is defeated by either the Comintern or Allies. If China falls to the Axis, China can no longer have military control of any nations outside of its alliance, unless this is agreed by all players (ie a China outside of the Axis but still allied to Japan might want to have military control over Hungary/Romania etc to help out)
6.Republic of China can attack any of the following nations from the start of the game: Shanxi, Xibei San Ma, Yunnan, Guangxi Clique and Tibet.
7.Republic of China can take any of the following nation's armies as expeditionary forces: Guangxi Clique, Yunnan, Shanxi and Xibei San Ma. They also are free to inherit these forces.
1. Germany must go to war via the Danzig or war event on 30 August 1939.
2. Germany must offer the historical Molotov-Ribbentrop pact in the event. The pact must be honored at least until 30 April 1940. The two countries can either honor the historical agreement, or negotiate their own clandestine agreement so long as it does not break any other rule. In case no agreement can be reached the default pact will be as follows:
a. No war between the parties prior to 0001, 1 MAY 40.
b. The Baltic states and Finland are in the sphere of influence of the USSR. They are free to take whatever action deemed necessary.
c. No DOW is allowed on Sweden, Turkey, Romanian, or Bulgaria during the life of the pact( until 1 MAY 40).
3.Germany may be required to declare war on the US if certain conditions exist. Please see US rules for specifics.
4. Should the Germany surrender event trigger (ID number 38), Germany has to accept the surrender.
Hungary can join the Axis via the end of Czechoslovakia event, or anytime from 30 August 1939.
Indian troops will be limited to the range defined in the attached maps, and in the defined maximum (24 divs plus 1 HQ) amount for the extended area.
Asian minors (Siam, Philippines, Indonesians, Pakistan and such kind) are limited to Indian sphere ending in Persia, but also be allowed into Australia/NZ. In the case of "Arabians" this does not apply.
Italy can join the Axis anytime from 30 August 1939.
1. After the Marco Polo bridge event, Japan can declare war on AI nations in Asia that are not part of, or puppets of, either the Allies or Comintern.
2. Japan can join the Axis anytime from 30 August 1939.
1. The UK and its Commonwealth allies are exempt from the ban on expeditionary units In the case of a commonwealth nation being annexed the UK may assume the countries units.
a. Commonwealth nations are Australia, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand, Nepal, Rhodesia/Nyasiland and Newfoundland.
b. Any six free France units led by De Gaulle will be treated as commonwealth nations if and only if they become in danger of annexation. These unit can be assumed by the UK.
c. Any 25 Indian land and any air units will be treated as commonwealth units if and only if India is in danger of being annexed. these units may then be assumed by the UK.
5. The UK must accept fully funded trades with Germany, Italy and Japan until 30 August 1939, provided it has enough resources for itself (i.e. stockpiles of 50k energy and oil, 25k rares and 15k metal and oil). It must prioritize trading with these nations over trading with AI non-allied nations.
6. The UK has to accept the UK surrender event if triggered.
1. The USA must accept fully funded trades with Germany, Italy and Japan, provided they have adequate resources for themselves (i.e. stockpiles of 50 energy, 25k rares, 15kmetal and oil). It must prioritize trading with these nations over trading with AI non-allied nations.
2. The USA must accept fully funded trades with Germany and Italy until either:
* the expiry of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact
* the fall/annexation of France
3. The USA must accept fully funded trades with Japan until either:
* the oil embargo event
* the fall/ annexation of China
* Japan joins the Axis or declares war on the Allies or Comintern
4. The USA is allowed to perform free trades to any member of the Allies or Comintern once the Lend-Lease event (ID number 3700) has been triggered.
5. The USA can only join the war against the Axis when any of the below conditions are met: Germany will have to declare war on the USA if the US player feels prepared to fight.
* China has fallen and Japan has declared war upon the Allies or the Comintern or joined Axis.
* Axis has invaded the UK mainland (i.e. England, Wales, Scotland & Northern Ireland), Ireland, or North America including Newfoundland.
* Suez, Gibraltar and Persia/Iran has fallen to the European Axis.
* The Axis have invaded the USSR and captured either Moscow, Sverdlovsk, Novosibirsk, Alma-Ata, Tashkent, Semipalatinsk or Kuybyshev.
* Axis has invaded South America, Central America or Caribbean, including Bermuda.
* The date is 7 December 1941.
6. The USA has to accept the USA surrender event if triggered.
1. The USSR must accept the historical Molotov-Ribbentrop pact Germany will offer. The pact must be honoured at least until 30 April 1940. The two countries can either honor the historical agreement, or negotiate their own clandestine agreement so long as it does not break any other rule.
2. The USSR must accept fully funded trades with Germany, Italy and Japan, provided they have adequate resources for themselves (i.e. stockpiles of 50k energy and oil, 25k rares and 15k metal). It must prioritize trading with these nations over trading with AI non-allied nations.
3. The USSR’s trades with Germany and Italy must continue until:
* the expiry of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact
* the fall/annexation of France
4. The USSR’s trades with Japan must continue until:
* Japan declares war on the Allies
* the fall/ annexation of China
5. The USSR must accept the Bitter Peace event if triggered.
If Spain is player controlled the following rules apply:
1. The human player must chose the Nationalist and must chose option A in the 1936 elections.
2. Spanish units cannot be moved until the Spanish civil war event except as needed to kill partisans.
3. Spanish units can't be named until the post war events are completed.
4. Spain cannot declare war on any country and must join the Axis by the Handaye event.
5. Before the Spanish civil war, Spain must fully fund the first 3 Madid infrastructure and triple speed. They should sleep this build after the first three.
6. Spain must complete the two ships under construction.
7. The human Nationalist player must kill all Spanish Republican land units prior to Annexation.
The following maps indicate where Chinese and Indian units may operate as follows:
24 Indian divisions plus 1 HQ in total-total-maximum in the areas mentioned (shown in the map in Green).
The areas in light blue are those where Indians have no limits on numbers.
The areas shown in purple are the areas where Chinese units may operate. (Chinese units may not leave those areas, as they have no rule giving them any exception).
All comments are welcome.
Let us begin!
Here is the world at the start of the campaign. There are a lot more nations compared to ‘vanilla’ AoD, a lot more events, a lot of changes to resources to make them much more important and a lot more ‘human-like’ AI to make the game a very enjoyable challenge.
Japan started off proclaiming the beginning of its campaign to liberate Asia from colonialism by liberating the peoples of Taiwan, Marshall Islands, Palau and Micronesia on 2nd January 1936.
Germany remilitarised the Rhineland on 5th January 1936, prompting a boost in military spending by Germany, alongside UK & France in response to this increased militarisation of Europe.
On 2nd March Japan then lent its support to the Mongol Military Government in its Suiyan campaign, where the locals then revolted against the Shanxi government.
On 19th April the Palestinians rose up against British Rule after the UK government decided to suppress the General Arab Strike. This led to many skirmishes if not outright battles between Palestinian partisans and the UK-loyal forces.
Italy, after conquering Ethiopia on 9th July 1936, liberated the area, forming Italian East Africa the same day. At the end of the conflict, 25,155 Ethiopians & 11,353 Italians under-arms had died in combat. 5 Italian bombers, 2 Italian & 10 Ethiopian fighter planes were also shot down during this war.
Just over a week later Spain broke into civil war on 17th July, divided between the Nationalists and Republicans. The internal community got involved, with the Germans, Italians and Portuguese supporting the Nationalists while the French and Mexican governments supported the Republicans. The UK decided not to support the Republican cause, viewing it as anarchist rabble.
Nearing the end of 1936 it was clear who the winner of this bitter conflict would be, with the Republicans cornered in north-eastern Spain.
On 20th July, Turkey organised the Montreux Convention and the remilitarized the Bosphorus.
The Belgian government declared its neutrality on 14th October 1936, leaving its alliance with the UK, France and their partners.
On 24th December 1936, the Nationalist and Communist Chinese governments made peace. As a result, the governments of Shanxi and Yunnan entered an alliance with Kai-shek’s regime while the territory of Guangxi Clique became under his direct control. 23,358 Communist, 7,848 Nationalist & 7,345 Xibei Chinese under-arms had perished in this war.
1936 was also a year of industrialisation by virtually all players, the below shows the increase in IC between 1 Jan 1936 and 28 April 1937.
That now concludes the update for 1936.