How to Play: Hearts of Iron IV

A place to discuss how to get better and more devious with your favourite game.

Moderators: Jones, aphrochine

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Re: How to Play: Hearts of Iron IV

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:29 pm

Alright I have 2 questions:

1. Advantage VS Disadvantage to justifying war on a whole country vs just one province? Germany's war against Denmark arose from a single justification and barely raised WT at all.

2. Japan opted out of the naval treaty. Obviously this lets him start new ships earlier; but does it have any other ramifications I should be aware of?
"You have to dominate. If you don’t dominate, you’re wasting your time... You’ve got to arrest people, you have to track people, you have to put them in jail for 10 years and you’ll never see this stuff again"

Trump

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:17 pm

pedal2000 wrote:
1. Advantage VS Disadvantage to justifying war on a whole country vs just one province? Germany's war against Denmark arose from a single justification and barely raised WT at all.
No, not really. You always justify against 1 state to go to war with the whole thing. While this kind of justification makes sense in long term games like EU4, as "justification" or "CB" creates wargoals, affects warscore and makes peacing cheaper. It doesnt matter at all with the all or nothing war of HOI.

The Justification should not have raised WT much, but the war should have. Also, UK might have been able to invite to Faction, which would have pulled UK into the war earlier. This kind of thing is common in games with inexperienced UK players who are not aware of what is happening around the world and taking steps to get in the way of early aggression. I even screwed it up a couple of times. It takes vigilance on the diplo screens.
pedal2000 wrote:
2. Japan opted out of the naval treaty. Obviously this lets him start new ships earlier; but does it have any other ramifications I should be aware of?
I'm not 100% sure, but I withdrawing from the treaties costs PPs for any nation withdrawing. Japan and have Italy have the option to lie about withdrawing.

The only thing the treaties restrict is the ability to build big, big ships. So think SHBB or 1940 BBs/CVs. It's really not much of a restriction and imo, can largely be ignored as a mechanic. I honestly havent played as much MtG as I should have, so I might be wrong here.

"Fate. It protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise." -W.T. Riker

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:18 pm

More questions:

Occasionally my plans (Spearhead or Offensive lines) won't attack. I hit the "let's do it" button and then everyone stays seated on their ass. It's frustrating because against a dug in opponent you need a planning bonus. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Total War VS War Economy? I went to Total Mobilization with the USA because I could, but I realize it costs me manpower. My manpower is now slowly trickling down. Was Total Mobilization a mistake, or do you use it regularly? I have picked up desegregation of the armed forces so that thankfully offsets it, however I'm wondering more for the future use of it.

I've started using 40 width infantry and tank divisions. However I'm finding it near impossible to crack into the French border (near the Netherlands) no matter how many guys or tanks I send. Last attempt was with some 50+ infantry and 9 or 10 medium armored divisions. I got to the border and then just bogged down. I'm not sure how to 'beat' a defensive line? Any suggestions on tactics would be great. I am running air superiority etc - it just seems like my troops slowly burn out and then stall, then can't get any further.
"You have to dominate. If you don’t dominate, you’re wasting your time... You’ve got to arrest people, you have to track people, you have to put them in jail for 10 years and you’ll never see this stuff again"

Trump

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:28 am

pedal2000 wrote:
Occasionally my plans (Spearhead or Offensive lines) won't attack. I hit the "let's do it" button and then everyone stays seated on their ass. It's frustrating because against a dug in opponent you need a planning bonus. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
There is an aggression setting, that might help.

Look for any kind of yellow or red exclamation point over the Army's "let's go" arrow button. The mouse over might offer some assistance. It could be supply, it could be that planning is not complete, or all units are not in position. There are a number of possibilities.

Lastly, use the Battle Planner to form up planning and have the units where you want them by sub-selecting units in an army and giving only battle lines to those units. Do this for all units and give them an attack order. Let the Planning Bonus build up, then delete the entire Battle Plan and manually use your troops. Planning bonus will trickle down like normal, but is still there after you delete your orders.
pedal2000 wrote:
Total War VS War Economy? I went to Total Mobilization with the USA because I could, but I realize it costs me manpower. My manpower is now slowly trickling down. Was Total Mobilization a mistake, or do you use it regularly? I have picked up desegregation of the armed forces so that thankfully offsets it, however I'm wondering more for the future use of it.
Increase Conscription Laws along side your Manpower laws. But Rosie the Riveter and Desegregation are good options for the US. Other nations might have similar decisions.
pedal2000 wrote:
I've started using 40 width infantry and tank divisions. However I'm finding it near impossible to crack into the French border (near the Netherlands) no matter how many guys or tanks I send. Last attempt was with some 50+ infantry and 9 or 10 medium armored divisions. I got to the border and then just bogged down. I'm not sure how to 'beat' a defensive line? Any suggestions on tactics would be great. I am running air superiority etc - it just seems like my troops slowly burn out and then stall, then can't get any further.
Width is the a thing. In a standard 1:1 province battle, the Combat width will be 80....2 Divisions. So more is not better. HOI4 is a game a bonuses, so ensure you have all available ministers, generals and techs to max up those Soft Attack numbers. AI should evaporate after that. For reference, it's entirely possible to push a 40 Width Panzer division over 2000 modified Soft Attack...which simply melts any and all units the AI will put in front of you.

"Fate. It protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise." -W.T. Riker

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:14 am

aphrochine wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:28 am
pedal2000 wrote:
There is an aggression setting, that might help.

Look for any kind of yellow or red exclamation point over the Army's "let's go" arrow button. The mouse over might offer some assistance. It could be supply, it could be that planning is not complete, or all units are not in position. There are a number of possibilities.

Lastly, use the Battle Planner to form up planning and have the units where you want them by sub-selecting units in an army and giving only battle lines to those units. Do this for all units and give them an attack order. Let the Planning Bonus build up, then delete the entire Battle Plan and manually use your troops. Planning bonus will trickle down like normal, but is still there after you delete your orders.
That was a huge help. I was finally able to break a line - admittedly it took me a few times to get D-day off but I managed to land and retake France. Now to try and replicate it as Germany. Thanks!

Trump

virtualrock
Field Marshall

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:50 am

Total war with women in the workforce is the way to go. As for divisions, 40 width is the meta but how well you’re able to push depends on what template you’re using, your land doctrine, and if you have air superiority among other things.

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:29 am

I've beaten France, for a record of 1-8.

I then got bogged down because Italy attacked Greece, and I couldn't break the allied line. Resulting in being woefully underprepared come Barbarossa when the USSR declared.

Do you have any tips for stopping allied bombing raids on Europe? Or reducing? Even with 100 civ factories pouring on it, I couldn't get to all the repairs.

Trump

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:57 am

So in our most recent game (which I will write up shortly); the USA has gone limited intervention and is preparing for "focus in Asia" with an intent, it seems, to attack Japan in the early months of 1939. He has also joined the Allies (as maybe the axis went a little silly with World Tension again).

Do you have any suggestions for Japan for fighting an early war against the USA?

Trump

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:12 am

pedal2000 wrote:
...(as maybe the axis went a little silly with World Tension again).
WT exists for 2 purposes.

1- Allow the Autocratic nations (the 'have nots') determine when they start WW2.
2- Delay the entry and ramp up of the US. While the value here is debatable as the US is no where near as strong in game as it was historically, the USA will overtake the UK/Commonwealth as the backbone of the western allies.
pedal2000 wrote:
Do you have any suggestions for Japan for fighting an early war against the USA?
Aggression, and you have to be shaping your navy from the beginning. Against a naval focused US, it's very tough. The big advantage comes from Oil, and the ability of the US to spam endless NXP and speed up research. This breaks historical balance, as the IJN *should* be ahead of the USN in terms of naval doctrine, and that is the only way to have a balanced Pacific War tbh.

So Japan is left with advancing quick, spamming NAVs and eventually Kamikazes, and pray for "USA Disease". The disease of "I'm playing the US, I can do all things immediately." ...which leads inexperienced players into disastrous early losses due to overconfidence.

I would have to double check the focuses, but you might be able to leverage the decision which grants Japan a bunch of bonuses for the first 6 months.

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:58 am

aphrochine wrote:
pedal2000 wrote:
...(as maybe the axis went a little silly with World Tension again).
WT exists for 2 purposes.

1- Allow the Autocratic nations (the 'have nots') determine when they start WW2.
2- Delay the entry and ramp up of the US. While the value here is debatable as the US is no where near as strong in game as it was historically, the USA will overtake the UK/Commonwealth as the backbone of the western allies.
Yeah, unfortunately we are doing an ahistorical game where everyone wants to do everything - so we've got a Mexico, Brazil, Romanian and Japanese player all pushing it up earlier. I'm running Germany and just finished the focus for cutting off Czech. The USA is in the allies, now it is just time to have to deal with it. Thankfully I should be able to hammer France before he reinforces it, given his immense focus on Japan.
aphrochine wrote:
pedal2000 wrote:
Aggression, and you have to be shaping your navy from the beginning. Against a naval focused US, it's very tough. The big advantage comes from Oil, and the ability of the US to spam endless NXP and speed up research. This breaks historical balance, as the IJN *should* be ahead of the USN in terms of naval doctrine, and that is the only way to have a balanced Pacific War tbh.

So Japan is left with advancing quick, spamming NAVs and eventually Kamikazes, and pray for "USA Disease". The disease of "I'm playing the US, I can do all things immediately." ...which leads inexperienced players into disastrous early losses due to overconfidence.

I would have to double check the focuses, but you might be able to leverage the decision which grants Japan a bunch of bonuses for the first 6 months.
I'm not sure how quick of an advance Japan can do. At the moment I've flagged that he needs to reinforce the home islands (0 divisions currently) and pull out of China which is thankfully semi-resolved. He's got his navy out of the area, but I doubt he has focused on it as he was focused on just winning China. The one saving grace, as you mentioned, is that generally no one has a ton of experience including our American player.

edit: fixed quotes -aphro

Trump

virtualrock
Field Marshall

Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:33 pm

From my experience, it’s ultimately air that wins you naval battles. You want to have fighters and bombers flying over battles. Carriers seem to only be useful if you plan on fighting far away from your air bases.

pedal2000
Field Marshall

Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:27 pm

virtualrock wrote:
From my experience, it’s ultimately air that wins you naval battles. You want to have fighters and bombers flying over battles. Carriers seem to only be useful if you plan on fighting far away from your air bases.
Good to know! We should hopefully have some air superiority around Japan between his airforce and my own which I intend to ship over.

Trump

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:40 am

pedal2000 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:27 pm
virtualrock wrote:
Good to know! We should hopefully have some air superiority around Japan between his airforce and my own which I intend to ship over.
Yes, land based air does more attritional damage, and has the advantage of not needing a carrier(s) to be put in harms way. Navs, unless in very large numbers will not obliterate ships. They will cause heavy attrition and sink some ships. CAGs have very large damage bonuses and later techs and doctrines in groups of 4....carriers will massacre enemy ships much quicker.

Kamikazes have gone through numerous balance passes, so I'm not sure where they are at right now. Historically, they've been OP af.