The Paradox Mega-Campaign: What is it?

Forum for organizing the Paradox Megacampaign.

Moderator: Stuyvesant

Altaris
Field Marshall

The Paradox Mega-Campaign: What is it?

Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:26 am

The WPO Paradox Multiplayer Mega-Campaign is a WPO sponsored event, aimed at recreating European history from 769 A.D. to whatever stopping point we decide... tentatively end of HOI4/1945-1950. We will start with Crusader Kings 2, play through the 1450's with it, use a converted to convert the campaign to Europa Universalis 4, play it until 1820, convert to Victoria 2 (or perhaps 3 if it's released by that time) to play until 1920, then convert for the ultimate end-war in HOI4. It's ambitious, but I feel it can be done and will prove a very rewarding mega-campaign it played to fruition.

Attendance is open, meaning we will accept new members as they show interest. Initially it's a small group, but we hope to grow it over time to the 5-8 player range.

Players will accumulate points to an overall score, kept track of here on the boards, as the campaign progresses. This score can be used at certain times to bid for a change in ruler/nation, so it's not required to stay with the same family (CK2) or nation (post CK2) you start with. This helps keep a balance of power in place, and avoids players being pidgeon holed into a faction which gets whittled down to obscurity or they just quit enjoying after a period of time. Rules for changing factions is discussed in other threads.

We will be playing the campaign from 6 PM - 9 PM Pacific Time on Monday nights, starting July 25th 2016. If you have interest in joining, even for short periods of time, please feel free to post here and we'll work you in!

michaelscarn
noob

Re: The Paradox Mega-Campaign: What is it?

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:24 pm

I'm a friend of harbignerxv8, who mentioned the game. Im certainly interested in joining. What are the steps for joining the game? and will the team speak be within the game? or another app (skype, etc)

Altaris
Field Marshall

Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:52 pm

TeamSpeak is a separate application, it can be downloaded online (TeamSpeak 3 is the latest one).

We'd be happy to have you on board, though might be a bit too close to the start time tonight.

What's your Steam handle?

michaelscarn
noob

Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:06 pm

Michael_scarn

aphrochine
Field Marshall

Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:40 pm

A couple of questions...

- Did they ever finish the EU4 -> V2 conversion tool??

- How will you handle the transition from players in Europe to the rest of the world?? Like the end of EU4 could see some split off colonies, like U.S., would we need to find a way to handle that??

"Fate. It protects fools, little children and ships named Enterprise." -W.T. Riker

Altaris
Field Marshall

Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:33 pm

I haven't considered EU4->V2 very much yet... figure we've got some time til we get there. Not sure on conversion utility, though the file structures are fairly easy to understand so I think I can make something work if needed. There's a few other guys who've done these conversions, and even with tools they usually require some manual manipulation to get right.

Ranoldas
noob

Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:23 pm

Hello, i would like to join this campaign.My steam name: Archlord

princedetenebres
Field Marshall

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:57 pm

I'm thinking of picking up Vic2 in the current Steam sale. Do you guys use both expansions? Your times would be so much easier for me than the AoD games that require me to get up at 0600 or before to play in the campaign. Are you guys still doing Monday evenings Pacific? And do you have room for one more?

I understand you're on hiatus for a bit, but I need some time to get up to speed anyways. Played a fair bit of Vic, so hopefully the learning curve for 2 won't be horrendous, though it has been a long time.

virtualrock
Field Marshall

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:26 am

Yea we use both expansions and I’m not sure if the time will change once we get back to it but I hope it stays the same. We kind of finished off pretty much almost every AI nation in EU4 and I don’t think we are going to break up the empires that we currently have. Currently there are two large AI nations left those being China and the Kotalids which is pretty much just Russia but a bit smaller. My recommendation would be for you to take over as the Kotalids.
Last edited by virtualrock on Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

harbringerxv8
Field Marshall

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:28 am

Yeah, we'd love to have you, but VR is right, the empires are pretty blobbed up at the moment. China or the Kotalids are the only really important remaining empires available, and my recollection is that China just got hammered in a major war and lost a bunch of territory.
-Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
Napoleon Bonaparte

virtualrock
Field Marshall

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:44 am

Yea pretty much everyone has their eyes on China right now so I don’t expect it to last for long. Currently Zarin and I are slowly expanding into Kotalid territory though if we have you playing as them I’d lay off to give you time to build up. While Zarin and I border the Kotalids to the west, I’m pretty sure parts of the east are still open for the Kotalids to expand into. I’m pretty sure the Kotalids are technologically backwards though maybe we can edit the save game to let you start on the same level as everyone else. Honestly I would love for there to be a Kotalid player as I think that would have an interesting effect on the balance of power.

Altaris
Field Marshall

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Kotalids and Chinese are the only really viable options at this point, everything else is teeny-tiny secondary nations.

princedetenebres
Field Marshall

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:54 pm

Thanks guys; I don't mind playing a secondary nation though, remember I'll be a n00b to the game.

Did you guys have difficulty transitioning from Vic to Vic2? I've not played it, so I'm hoping it won't be too hard being familiar with the first, but I haven't much experience with Paradox games since they went to the Clausewitz engine.

Ultimately, I'll need to get at least some familiarity, and see if the time change works, since we're way off both Europe/US timezones (19 hours ahead of the west coast at the moment).

virtualrock
Field Marshall

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:01 pm

I didn't find Vic 2 to be that hard to familiarize myself with and you should have plenty of time to do so since I'll be gone pretty much the whole summer. Also the "teeny-tiny secondary nations" that Altaris mentioned are pretty much on the scale of like insignificant one province minors so they're not exactly viable. The Kotalids, meanwhile, are in fairly decent position and like previously mentioned the Chinese are in the process of getting dismantled. Should be an interesting game now that there's pretty much almost no secondary nations left so I assume that means we'll be seeing some large scale player on player engagements.

princedetenebres
Field Marshall

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Ah, interesting. Apologies, I misunderstood. I thought he meant secondary in the sense that in the vanilla campaign you might say that a Belgium or Sweden or Mexico might be secondary to the great powers, but aren't terrible choices for a new player.